Philadelphia on Thursday announced a number of road closures for the annual New Year’s Day Mummers Parade. The city also provided health guidelines for spectators along the parade route. Despite the parade not taking place until New Year’s Day, city residents and visitors should be aware that parking restrictions along the parade route began on Monday, Dec. 27.
Road Closures & Parking Restrictions
Monday, December 27, 2021
From 6 p.m. on Monday, December 27 through 6 p.m. on Sunday, January 2, parking is prohibited on the east side of 15th Street from John F. Kennedy Boulevard to South Penn Square.
Tuesday, December 28, 2021
For equipment loading-in and staging, two eastbound travel lanes on 15th Street. From John F. Kennedy Boulevard to South Penn Square will be closed from 7 a.m. on Tuesday, December 28 until 7 a.m. on Sunday, January 2. 15th Street may be completely closed for short intervals during this time.
Wednesday, December 29, 2021
From 6 p.m. on Wednesday, December 29 through 6 p.m. on Sunday, January 2, parking will be prohibited on 15th Street from Arch Street to Ranstead Street. Street/sidewalk vendors will not be permitted to park in this area during these hours.
Thursday, December 30, 2021
On December 30, 15th Street will be closed from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. (Noon) for equipment delivery and setup at John F. Kennedy Boulevard.
Friday, December 31, 2021
Parking is prohibited on the following streets from 4 a.m. on December 31, 2021 through 6 p.m. on Saturday, January 1:
Market Street from 15th Street to 21st Street (both sides)
John F. Kennedy Boulevard from Juniper Street to 20th Street (both sides)
- The closure of 15th Street from John F. Kennedy Boulevard to Market Street will take place from 10 a.m. on December 31, 2021 until 7 a.m. the following day.
- From 15th Street to 16th Street, Market Street will be closed to vehicular traffic from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. on December 31. Market Street will reopen at 3 p.m., and traffic will be allowed to travel eastbound on Market Street to 15th Street and then southbound on 15th Street.
Saturday, January 1, 2022
The following streets will be closed to vehicular traffic starting at 3 a.m. through the end of the parade:
- From South Penn Square to Washington Avenue. Broad Street will be closed to vehicular traffic on January 1, 2022. Beginning at 7 a.m. and lasting until the parade is over.
- During the parade, no vehicles will be allowed to cross Broad Street. Delays can be expected. Motorists are advised to avoid the area by using alternate routes and to allow extra time for driving near the event. Additionally, drivers should refrain from double-parking. Which creates congestion, limits traffic flow, and is illegal.
Additional Parking Restrictions on January 1, 2022
-both sides of street unless otherwise noted:
- Broad Street from Arch Street to Ellsworth Street
- Juniper Street from John F. Kennedy Boulevard to South Penn Square (east side)
- South Penn Square from Juniper Street to 15th Street
- Benjamin Franklin Parkway from 16th Street to 20th Street
- North Side of Logan Circle
- North Broad Street from Cherry Street to John F. Kennedy Boulevard
- 16th Street from Chestnut Street to Race Street
- 17th Street from Ben Franklin Parkway to Ludlow Street
- 18th Street from Race Street to Ludlow Street
- 19th Street from Ben Franklin Parkway to Chestnut Street
- 19th Street from John F. Kennedy Boulevard to Market Street
- 1500 block of Ranstead Street
- 1300 block of Carpenter Street
- 1000 block of South 13th Street
- Chestnut Street from 15th Street to 18th Street (north side)
- Cherry Street from 15th Street to 17th Street
- Arch Street from 15th Street to 17th Street
- Washington Avenue from 12th Street to 18th Street